Energy and Water Assistance (LIHEAP and LIHWAP)

LIHEAP and LIHWAP help low-income families and individuals pay their utility (energy and water) bills through assistance grants. These grants are designed to supplemental assistance to you in times of crisis so you can access basic needs like heat and water, even if you are behind on your bill.


MICA's goal is to work with you to help you address barriers to success such as unemployment, underemployment, lack of adequate childcare, and other factors, so that you can keep your utility bills current in the future.

What is LIHEAP (Energy Assistance?)

MICA's LIHEAP (Low-Income Home Energy Assistance) program is designed to help you by providing a one-time payment toward your energy bills. It can also prevent a utility company from disconnecting your heat during the winter months by issuing a moratorium.

To qualify for MICA's LIHEAP program, you must reside in Marshall, Story, Tama, Hardin, or Poweshiek counties. You must pay a vendor directly for your energy bills, and you must meet income guidelines. Find out more and apply online using the links below.

What is LIHWAP (Water Assistance?)

MICA's LIHWAP (Low-Income Home Water Assistance) program is designed to help avoid disconnection of your municipal water utilities or help you get reconnected. Unfortunately, the LIHWAP program cannot help fund utility deposits for new service, pay for diversion fees, pay for repairs or replacements of water systems and equipment, or pay for costs related to individually-owned water systems like wells.

To qualify for MICA's LIHWAP program, you must reside in Marshall, Story, Tama, Hardin, or Poweshiek counties, be experiencing a water crisis (disconnected or with a disconnection notice, or on a payment plan with your vendor and unable to make your next bill), and you must meet income guidelines.


Find out more and apply by calling your county's MICA family development center.

Image by mrjn Photography

How do I apply for energy assistance?

PLEASE NOTE: We have a limited number of in-person appointments. You can apply, online, over the phone, or pick up an application packet at our center. More information can be found here

You can apply for LIHEAP starting October 1 if your household includes someone over 60 or someone with a disability. All other households that qualify can apply starting November 1, and applications are accepted until April 30. 


MICA serves families in Hardin, Marshall, Tama, Poweshiek, and Story counties.

Having your most recent heating and electric bills, and social security cards and proof of income for all household members will make your application easier.

You will be notified of a decision within 30 days.


Questions? Email our staff directly at